Sensomusic

#1 2019-10-09 11:33:02

Holz&Strom
Platinum Member

Hi everyone,

the last couple of days I've been trying out Hollyhock and I'm already quite convinced that I'll purchase a license! However I have a very specific use of it in mind and after watching the tutorials I'm still not sure where to continue. Maybe some of you here can give me a hint what to search for in the manual?

I want to use HollyHock for live looping purposes- my workspace contains 2 - 3 instances of echoloop vst and 1 instance of Soundtoys PrimalTap. I've got a Keith McMillen 12step connected to my computer and want to use it to control the plugins. Now I don't mind having to switch to a different preset (and using a different midi channel or simply different midi notes) on the 12step to control Primal Tap, but I'd like  control all instances of echoloop from within the same preset on the 12step. So that if I hit one midi note, everything midi from the controller gets routed to echoloop 1, if I hit another midi note, everything gets routed to echoloop 2. What do I have to search for in the manual to figure out how to do that?

I'd also like to sync the echoloop instances to one another by connecting them directly. I've read  that by doing so the first echoloop you record on automatically becomes the master for the others. By double clicking on the vst I can see the plugins inputs and outputs, that's what I've found out till now- but how do I connect them? Only one plugin at a time shows up...

Sorry for these newbie questions, I'm just not sure where to look for answers- feel free to tell me what to search for in the manual!

#2 2019-10-09 12:57:04

x.iso
Platinum Member

there are various ways to do it, depends on your overall workflow requirements. you may just drop all your plugins in single patch on single rack, and setup logic so that each note will trigger switching to specific plugin. I can make example rack for you.

#3 2019-10-09 14:20:07

x.iso
Platinum Member

here's example rack:
http://www.sensomusic.org/forums/upload … 0rack.rack

in lower part or the patch in it you can select between different FX routes and those buttons are mappable via MIDI Learn, so you can assign them to specific notes from specific controller that way.

just replace sub-patches with your plugins and you're good to go. however, if your plugins also rely on midi input, then you would additionally need to use selector module and switch midi signal to different plugins according to switch array already in place.

#4 2019-10-09 22:53:09

Holz&Strom
Platinum Member

wow, that was a lot more help and much quicker than I expected! Thanks a lot for your effort, I'll have a look at it as soon as I find the time!

#5 2019-10-09 23:20:03

Holz&Strom
Platinum Member

So I was curious and decided to take a look at how you did it- if I understand it correctly, your rack routes audio to different effects, doesn't it? What I'm trying to change is the midi routing- at the moment my workspace contains 3 racks, one for each plugin. They use the same stereo input pair, but as all plugins are set to 100%, no input audio gets passed through, but all the plugins are always listening to the input signal (I monitor through my interface). Echoloop ( a software version of the Gibson EDP hardware looper, written by the EDP's inventor) comes with a fixed set of midi commands that are the same as on the original hardware units. So for example midi note 38 on channel 1 always means record, 39 means overdub and so on. What I'm looking for now is a device in Hollyhock that takes my MIDI controller as an input and has 2 or more different outputs. I then want to use 2 or 3 different midi notes to route the input to the different racks- let's say if press c5, all my preprogrammed echoloop commands get routed to rack 1, if I press c#5 everything gets routed to rack 2, if I press d5 erverything gets routed to rack 3. So my controller always sends note 38 to record, but I decide if this activates record on rack 1,2 or 3.
Is this possible? Or am I looking at it from the wrong angle? Using 3 racks seemed the most logical to me, because it gives me 3 seperate volume faders for my loopers and because the racks reminded me of tracks in other daws...
Anyway, thanks again for the taking the time to even patch together a rack for me! That was really more than I expected and i really appreciate it!

#6 2019-10-10 08:41:27

x.iso
Platinum Member

well I figured that you might need midi switcher after all. yes, you could host each plugin in separate rack, it's just that you would have to use MIDI Bus for receiving midi on each rack and set up additional rack that would take MIDI from your controller, then switch midi channel according to your instructions and send it to MIDI bus. Unfortunately, when you drop a rack as input for another rack, only audio is routed, so you have to use buses.

here are simple midi bus utility patches to set bus and get bus:
http://www.sensomusic.org/forums/upload … %20set.pat
http://www.sensomusic.org/forums/upload … %20get.pat
both have a field for entering/selecting bus name and channel selector, so you could try to simply map your MIDI to channel selector of the sender patch, then on each rack before plugin set 'get' patch on specific channel to listen to.

if you can't map list (I haven't really tried how it works with lists, don't have midi controller at hand), you could use similar technique I've done in rack above, to get list of buttons that are mappable and send the number to data inlet. so if you input number 3 for example in that list module, it would choose channel 3, while number 0 would correspond to 'all channels'

#7 2019-10-10 10:27:28

Holz&Strom
Platinum Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try over the weekend and see what I end up with!

#8 2019-10-12 14:56:24

Holz&Strom
Platinum Member

ok, here's what I've got so far: I can now send the midi input from the midi input rack to 3 different racks. I use a set midi bus object in the midi input device which gets its name from a get text bus object. In the same midi input rack I have a patch that just contains a listbox with the 3 midi bus names and the set text bus object. This works well, but I found out that I can only key map (or midi map) an increase and decrease to the list box. Is there a way to directly select item 1,2 or three via midi notes? I also thought of using seperate button, but buttons only seem to output numbers- or am I wrong there? Could you use a button to output text to the text bus?

#9 2019-10-12 22:11:35

x.iso
Platinum Member

try replacing combobox with listbutton module, or as I've said use sub-patch from rack I've made above.