Sensomusic

#1 2019-10-08 19:01:48

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Hello,
:
Does the Rec Module (from the workspace menu) have the possibility to record/export to multitrack files ; I'd like to record the output of a surround rack (4 speakers) and have 4 mono files or 2 stereo files but I don't find how to do this.
Thank you in advance

#2 2019-10-08 19:31:07

oli_lab
Platinum Member

just use a 4 output device on your rack and drop the rack into the record window

http://oli-lab.org

Win10 I7/16GB RAM  - RME MADIFACE - SSL alpha link 4-16 - OSC capable interfaces

follow OLI_LAB adventures on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OLI_LAB/3 … 506?v=wall

#3 2019-10-08 19:31:21

x.iso
Platinum Member

in recorder you add your outputs (devices/racks) that you want to record to separate files. but if one output is multi-channel on it's own, it should then result in multi-channel file. So, Surround-8 'device' would output 8-channel wav file. even if your audio device doesn't support 8 channels to output.

#4 2019-10-08 19:46:03

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

@oli_lab: I tried with a 4 output device but I got an interleaved 4 channels file. (As said x.iso )
And I need 4 separate/mono files,or  at least 2 stéréo (1-2 and 3-4) files.

#5 2019-10-08 22:55:23

oli_lab
Platinum Member

got it !
what I do is record in one multitrack file then use Reaper to make stereo files with downmixing

http://oli-lab.org

Win10 I7/16GB RAM  - RME MADIFACE - SSL alpha link 4-16 - OSC capable interfaces

follow OLI_LAB adventures on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OLI_LAB/3 … 506?v=wall

#6 2019-10-09 08:52:28

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Thank you. But I don't use Reaper... I'll try with another software (Samplitude maybe). But I was expecting to find an "internal" solution.

#7 2019-10-09 11:20:18

nay-seven
Administrator

Remember you can also drag a device directly on the record panel ?

Follow us on Facebook , Instagram, Twitter

#8 2019-10-09 12:00:51

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Yes, I've done it; with a Surround 4 device , but what is recorded is an  interleaved file. I also tried with a Stereo (1 and 2) device and another one routing only 3 and 4, but I got a blank file with the second one.
By the way Samplitude handles multitrack files so I have anyway a solution

#9 2019-10-09 12:33:34

x.iso
Platinum Member

I think if you route second device like so: 3/4 > 1/2 Then second stereo pair would work, but then you will hear all 4 channels in Stereo mixdown as you record. You may just use the fact that it's also possible to drop racks in recorder, and even if you won't use any sound output in said rack, it will record whatever sound is generated in the rack and number of channels would be dependant on how many audio outs are used in last patch of the rack (if it's in serial processing mode).

So you cold make 4 proxy racks for audio capturing purposes, send your 'master' surround to each rack and filter out specific channel in a patch for each rack, then drop said racks in recorder.

EDIT: seems like you do need some audio output device in said racks, but that's not a problem. Create 'MONO out' audio out, route just one channel to one out (1 > 1), disable it in device panel and drop it in those 'proxy' racks, then it will record your racks as mono files.

Last edited by x.iso (2019-10-09 12:50:32)

#10 2019-10-09 18:06:15

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Thanks x.iso. I've tried your solution. I used a recorder module (4 channels), and I can visualize that the 4 dchannels are recorded, but when I want to save them I also got an interleaved file.Is there a way to save as separate files?

#11 2019-10-09 19:32:37

x.iso
Platinum Member

as I've said, each output that you put in recorded will be a separate file, so you need to set up 4 racks with a simple patch (4 audio inputs and 1 audio out, and only one of the input is connected to output according to channel that rack is representing) and mono output that is disabled in devices panel. you will probably also need to set up some 'master rack' and drop that as input for each of 4 proxy mono racks. after dropping those racks in recorder they should produce separate files, at least I've tested and got this result.

#12 2019-10-09 21:08:50

cmodica
Platinum Member

Wave Agent from sound devices is a usefull software. With it, you can combine x mono tracks in 1 polyphonic track or Split a x Polyphonic track into x mono track.

For exemple you can split the polyphonic track with 4 channel from Usine record into 4 mono track.

Wave Agent

i hope it help.

#13 2019-10-09 21:28:27

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

@cmodica: thank you for the info.

@x.iso:"each output that you put in recorded will be a separate file, so you need to set up 4 racks with a simple patch (4 audio inputs and 1 audio out, and only one of the input is connected to output according to channel that rack is representing) and mono output that is disabled in devices panel. you will probably also need to set up some 'master rack' and drop that as input for each of 4 proxy mono racks. after dropping those racks in recorder they should produce separate files"
> yes I did all of that and the recorder  window shows me 4 tracks, so 4 mono recordings, but when I look at the list files I've got only one file (interleaved)... Am I misunderstanding something?

#14 2019-10-10 08:24:15

x.iso
Platinum Member

when you stop recording, you have to confirm saving the files (name it if you want to and locate), all racks should be then saved as separate files. so filename goes like this: %name%-%outputname%.wav. basically there should be as many files as there are devices/racks in recorder.

Last edited by x.iso (2019-10-10 08:24:28)

#15 2019-10-10 14:14:53

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Thank you x.iso, it works fine. My mistake was that I thought I had to  create a "recorder rack" with a recorder module instead of using the one of the wkp...