Sensomusic

#1 2019-07-12 06:42:08

Ariajazz

Hi all. I know this can sound weird after almost four versoions of HOLLYHOCK but this what is working for me. I'm using USINE STAGE v5.8 and implementing the conductor module as a preset controller for a workspace this way: Each bank of the conductor its a song and each escene of a given bank is a preset for the song.

The problem is that the conductor module has only 8 banks, not enough for my needs. My question: Is there any way to extend or increase the number of banks of the coductor module? (lets say 32 banks) or is there any way to have this functionallity done?.

I've tried to achieve this by loading 4 workspaces (using the load workspace module)  with one coductor on each for a total of 32 banks, the problem is that the workspaces are pretty complex and they take a significant amount of time when loading. This is a drawnback in live situations.

Thank You.

#2 2019-07-12 09:18:36

joffo78
Platinum Member

Hi. A stupid question: why don't you use hollyhock instead of
Usine stage ?

#3 2019-07-13 01:50:20

Ariajazz

It is not stupid. I have tried Hollyhock many times since version 1 and its preset manager takes about 1 second and sometimes more to make the changes over the workspace. Not suitable for live situations.  The old USINE's conductor is instant. What I want from you guys is a solution not and sterile critic..

Last edited by Ariajazz (2019-07-13 01:53:17)

#4 2019-07-13 09:28:38

joffo78
Platinum Member

I was talking about my question . It's not a critic about your

#5 2019-07-13 18:50:34

x.iso
Platinum Member

Hi, Ariajazz. One of the reasons workspace presets take long to load (and even some patch presets may), is because potentially lots of modules have 'save in preset' checked (by default), and a lot of times it's totally unnecessary and adds up the latency for snapshot recalling. It can be hard enough to optimize the patch for this, but going through a whole workspace to check for modules that do unnecessary state saving can be quite time consuming and in the end it may still be not as fast as older Usine, because newer one is just more complex.

#6 2019-07-13 20:39:26

Ariajazz

Thanks for your response  x.iso. I get your idea and certainly will check that out. However old USINE's conductor module has bank feature that new preset manager does not, and that is a very usable feature that totally fits my needs. As I said before, each bank is a song and each scene from the corresponding bank is a preset for that song. It would be nice that I could come with something that could implement this functionality on HH preset manager or a possibility to extend the number of banks of USINE's conductor.

Last edited by Ariajazz (2019-07-13 20:54:34)

#7 2019-07-14 01:03:35

x.iso
Platinum Member

You could simply use Grid and create sections for each song, at each section place presets that needs to be recalled. set all sections to pause after playback. You can map section activation to keyboard or CC if you don't want to use mouse or touch, additionally there are quantization options for triggering sections.

#8 2019-07-14 11:56:33

cmodica
Platinum Member

I never find something better than the old usine conductor with hollyhock.
I miss it a lot. It was fast and very easy.
But you can manage that with the grid. It is more complex than conductor but it do the job.
And you can do much more too.

#9 2019-07-16 19:57:49

Ariajazz

No one else come with some ideas?

#10 2019-07-17 12:15:51

sm_jamieson
Platinum Member

Ariajazz wrote:

It is not stupid. I have tried Hollyhock many times since version 1 and its preset manager takes about 1 second and sometimes more to make the changes over the workspace. Not suitable for live situations.  The old USINE's conductor is instant. What I want from you guys is a solution not and sterile critic..

I have asked before for a lightweight version of the preset management system that responds faster. Since I really just want to send midi messages for each of my "presets" I wrote a user module to do all that.

I guess the point is the Hollyhock preset manager is doing a lot more, loading chunks, saved state of all modules, etc.

I am experimenting with using a single patch with the preset manager for just that patch (to save VST presets when the VST does not respond to midi program changes). I would expect that to work a lot faster than a preset for the whole workspace.

Simon.

#11 2019-07-18 12:43:12

SylvainT
Platinum Member

Hello,

I don't remember Usine Stage, there're so many improvements in Usine since this old time ;-)
For sure, HH4 will come with a new grid, with many new things. You can recall almost everything with the grid, and so you can lighten your recall at each moment.
I use very rarely workspace presets, to heavy, and not relevant for my purposes, I prefer patch or sometimes rack presets. With the grid, it is lighter. With HH4, you will able to just recall a switch if you want.
So, my advice would be to have a look to those new features.

All the best

Sylvain

#12 2019-07-19 15:23:33

Ariajazz

Thanks all for your replies. I'm getting all the ideas you've posted and trying to come out with a solution. I use Usine as a "pedalboard" for live guitar playing. I hanen't been able to use the grid for achieving my needs, actually I have not used it before and do not know its potential. Old coductor with more banks would be the perfect solution. I wonder if there would be a script that could do that.