Sensomusic

#1 2018-10-12 14:03:03

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

Hello,

As mentioned in the subject I'm trying to use an external touchscreen (ViewSonic) on my laptop running Windows 7. I've got the last driver, and the connections between  the laptop and the screen are USB and VGA.
But it doesn't work. Does someone use kind of the same configuration? Or had the same problem...?
Do I need RS 232 connection for it to work? And if so, how can I do as laptops don't have this connection?
An adaptor?
Thank you in advance

#2 2018-10-12 19:34:28

x.iso
Platinum Member

Do you mean that your touchscreen doesn't work in general, not just Usine? There's should be a setting in control panel, to assign which monitor is 'touchable' and calibrate if needed.

#3 2018-10-13 11:13:14

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

It doesn't work in general. And I can't find the "touchable" settings in control panel. It's a WIn 7 familial edition.
I'll keep on loooking on pc users forums.

#4 2018-10-14 02:38:12

Blaakk
Platinum Member

You should be good to go. The touch is handled entirely over USB. There should be 'Tablet PC' settings if Windows recognises the touch-capable input device. On a desktop, and I'm assuming it applies to laptops, whichever monitor is set as the 'Primary' display is the one which reacts to the touch. Ie, if I set my 'non touch' display as the primary, then the (now secondary display's) touch input gets incorrectly routed to the wrong screen. I failed to find a way to set up a working touch-capable secondary display in Windows, (it's easy in Linux).

So... start by setting the external monitor as the primary display, if you haven't already. And if there are 'TabletPC' settings in the control panel.... click callibrate.

Hope this helps.

#5 2018-10-14 09:42:25

Gilsornette
Platinum Member

x.iso, Blaakk, thank you for your advices.
I couldn't set  the external monitor as "primary display" because "Tablet Pc settings" was disabled from the system (ms config)
so it didn't appear in the control panel. Now I've found this, it works correctly!

#6 2018-10-16 11:34:04

iococoi
Platinum Member

sorry, just one question...is it possible to have one screen with touch and one with mouse @ the same time? i tried that years ago, but never was really satisfied, there were always some interference, like if you used touch, mouse cursor got completely lost and vice versa. dual-HID driver? i dunno..regards,

#7 2018-10-16 12:41:06

x.iso
Platinum Member

There are apps and drivers for using more than one mouse at the same time, so that might help with not losing the cursor, but I don't think it will allow for using mouse and touch at the same time. It's a weird problem, since touch can be used in multiple places and apps at the same time, but as soon as mouse gets involved, it's ruins the input with it's legacy paradigm. I can think of just one realistic solution to that: emulate pen input with mouse, since pen and touch can be used in unison without a problem.

#8 2018-10-17 20:27:01

Ariajazz

If driver is NOT DIGITAL SIGNED for using with Microsoft, WIN 7 won't allow it to work, even if the driver seems to be installed. That's why the device does no appear in Device Manager.

#9 2018-10-18 07:49:29

iococoi
Platinum Member

x.iso wrote:

There are apps and drivers for using more than one mouse at the same time, so that might help with not losing the cursor, but I don't think it will allow for using mouse and touch at the same time. It's a weird problem, since touch can be used in multiple places and apps at the same time, but as soon as mouse gets involved, it's ruins the input with it's legacy paradigm. I can think of just one realistic solution to that: emulate pen input with mouse, since pen and touch can be used in unison without a problem.

hi, tnx for the insight. really odd, that this is still(2018) such an issue..i really want to use both simultaneously..laptop screen-mouse, external screen-touch.. quite a "natural" set up, i thought.. touch-driven things like physics or biggish step sequencers on an external touch screen..clicky things like mixy stuff or the whole loop-editing business on the main-screen.

#10 2018-10-18 12:29:24

x.iso
Platinum Member

well, mouse is used to switch focus between apps so that keyboard shortcuts such as F keys, Ctrl+C could be executed in context of app in focus. To some extent this is still relevant, so I guess that's why it's like that. But at least I've read that HTML5 now supports mouse+touch at the same time and I can see in my browser that when I use touch and drag mouse, even though mouse is blinking, it doesn't 'teleport' to where I touch. If I do that on desktop or elsewhere it's a different story.